Many More Adventures (and lots of birds)

Hello friends!

It has been less than one week since my last post but, I thought I would give you an update after working with my partner on a guitar/ukulele duet. Today during our work block during music class, I met up with Maddie to practice our song together, a song called Birds by Thomas Sanders.

Both Maddie and I have experience playing our respective instruments so, the song was not difficult for us to learn. The tricky part today was learning how to play the song alongside another musician. Although we managed to pick it up rather quickly. We struggled a bit with transitions from the verses, to the chorus, to the bridge. However, with a bit of repetition, we polished up the transitions and the song in general.

One thing Maddie pointed out was that the chord before the chorus was an added 9th chord. Which I originally played out in the strumming pattern before moving on to the chorus. Although this made the beginning of the chorus sound a bit off, so we decided to leave the beginning with no chord.

Overall, this block was very productive, and I think with a bit more practice, we will be well ahead of schedule for my music plan.

Following all that success with my partnered song, I would like to talk briefly about my song-writing adventures. Although I will post more in about two weeks for my video midterm update. For now, I am liking the progression of G, Em, G, Em, C, G, B7 for the verse. I like the mix of a major chord and a minor chord in quick succession.

I also wanted to include a B7 in my song, as I said last week; putting the B7 at the end of the verse will provide a clear transition between the verse and the chorus. I am still working on the chords for the chorus, but that will all be included in the next blog.

Check back in next time for a special video of myself playing my original song and maybe a little snippet of the duet (played as a solo).